Whiplash is a term used to define a neck or upper back strain/sprain injury. This type of injury is frequently due to a trauma or accident. Motor vehicle accidents are a good example of a whiplash injury. Did you know that even a minor car accident while wearing a seatbelt can result in whiplash symptoms? Whiplash can also occur from participating in contact sports, a slip and fall, or from a blow to the head.
Whiplash is sometimes diagnosed with X-ray or scans by your medical provider. Common signs and symptoms of whiplash include:
- Pain or tenderness on the back of your neck or shoulders.
- Reduced range of motion of your neck or neck stiffness (i.e., flexing, extending, or looking from side to side)
- Muscle spasms in the neck or back of shoulders
- Headache or in serious cases vision issues or tinnitus
- Tight jaw when speaking or difficulty chewing
- Difficulty concentrating
- Inability to get proper sleep or rest
- Depression and anxiety
Whiplash Cause & Treatment
The term whiplash describes both damage to the bone structures and soft tissues and is from sustaining trauma. Even if you feel the accident was minor it can still cause whiplash injuries and symptoms. Here are some examples of incidents that can cause whiplash:
- Motor Vehicle Accident (even a minor fender bender while wearing seatbelt)
- Slip & fall
- Blow to the head
- Injury from contact sports
At Venture Rehabilitation Sciences Group, our university trained physical therapists will assist you in safe and effective mobilization exercises to increase your range of motion and decrease muscle wasting in your neck. Our treatment plans are tailored to your needs and can include but are not limited to:
- Gentle soft tissue massage to increase blood flow and improve chances of neck muscle flexibility
- Dry needling for pain relief
- Education on your injury
- Joint mobilization and manipulation
- Passive therapy (TENS Machine, Ultrasound, Heat or Ice)
- Exercise prescription for strengthening the small and large muscle of your neck
Book Your Treatment & Start Today!
Don’t wait to book your whiplash treatment! At Venture Rehab, you can get started the same day you call, no doctor’s referral needed. We can help reduce the symptoms of whiplash so that you can resume your normal daily activities. Find a clinic near you to book your appointment today.
With 30 years of experience, we can help improve your quality of life reduce the risk of chronic whiplash.