An ankle sprain can happen in a fraction of a second and leave you in severe pain. One minute you may be jogging, playing soccer, or dancing in a pair of high heels and the next you roll your ankle and are unable to bear weight on that foot or even walk. While some ankle sprains can be treated with rest and pain medication, a favourable outcome is more likely if you seek physical therapy treatment within 72 hours after the injury.
Ankle Sprain Facts
- You have 3 important ligaments on the outside of your ankles that contribute to stability of your ankle joint by preventing excessive movement
- Often a sprained ankle is the result of a sudden twist, turn or rolling of the ankle joint which forces the ligaments beyond their normal range
- Repeat ankle sprains can result in lifelong ankle weakness, joint pain and even arthritis.
Ankle Sprain Symptoms
When you sprain your ankle it causes the ligaments to overstretch or tear partially. Depending on the severity of your injury symptoms may include the following:
- Pain when you attempt to put weight on that foot
- Limited range of motion
- Tenderness or pain when touched
- The feeling of instability in your ankle joint
Ankle Sprain Treatments
Common causes of a sprained ankle include falling, walking on an uneven surface, rolling on your foot after a jump, or from someone else stepping or falling on your foot while participating in sports. Having poor strength or flexibility in your ankle joints and wearing poor footwear (shoes that don’t fit properly or wearing high-heels) can contribute to an ankle injury. At Venture Rehab, our university trained physical therapists have been helping clients with their ankle sprain injuries for over 30 years! After a detailed assessment our physical therapists will design a treatment plan tailored to your injury which can include but is not limited to:
- Joint mobilization
- Pain relieving electrical, light, or ultrasound therapy
- Kinesio Taping
- Range of motion exercises
- Stretching exercises
- Ankle joint strengthening exercises
- Balance and stability training
- Fitting for ankle-brace or supportive footwear
Book Your Appointment & Start TODAY!
Don’t wait to book an appointment. A sprained ankle can leave you with ligament weakness and vulnerable to a repeat injury so it is best to book a consultation with a physical therapist within 72 hours of your injury. Getting rehabilitation can help ensure the injury heals completely and can help strengthen your ankle ligaments and muscles. At Venture Rehab, you can get started right away, no doctor’s referral needed. Find a clinic to book your appointment via telephone.
Let us use our 30 years of experience to help you to rebuild your ankle strength and flexibility today!